Sunday, January 25, 2009

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles...Spanish Style

Well, lots to tell. It is now 11:45 PM and I have a bus to catch at 5:40 AM...yeah, you do the math. WOW. I am going to give a quick recap of what I have been dealing with in the past 24 hours, so the next time you watch Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (as notated above..) you will think of me and chuckle.

I originally booked a flight on a discount airline to London. It was an afternoon flight, and the international flights all leave in the afternoon, so I was FORCED to stay in London. One arrived into Gatwick, and the net day I flew out of Heathrow, so I was going to wake up and take a bus to Heathrow to board my flight to the US.

Well, then I read the restrictions online about excess baggage and after hours (literally) of converting kilograms to pounds, euros to dollars, and British pounds to dollars...I realized that the $65 flight to London would cost me an additional---drum roll please....$649.00 for my luggage.

Yeah, I know...

So, I began hunting for other flights. Well, it seems all discount airlines have these policies pretty much, and they are the only ones flying out of Girona that I could find. So I then realized on British Airways I would only pay $85 for luggage charges. So, then I thought...well, they don't fly out of Girona...only Barcelona!

So, catching a bus in the morning to Barcelona, getting on a British Airways flight, arriving now into Heathrow--had to cancel the room at Gatwick--and departing out of Heathrow on Tuesday.

And if you think that's bad....I booked the first British Airways flight on my mom's AMEX. Got a confirmation email and everything. 24 hours later they decide to send me an email (this morning) that it was not processed because of suspicious activity.

So then I had to find another flight and use my credit card to pay for it. Which I also had to do with the bus ticket that I bought online tonight. Then I coe upstairs and check my email and I have an email from bank of America saying that MY card is being cut off because of suspicious activity. I try to log on to verify that it is me, and they ask me questions like--what is the 2nd cousin's name of your 1st grade teacher?

So I email my mom in a total panic and we Skype and call Bank of America and I spoke to them over Skype and verified myself and ALL IS WELL.

DEAR GOD.

My bags are in the car, I have two hands, and 3 enormous 50 lb. bags and SOMEHOW I have to make it to the United States of fucking America. (excuse my french)

Wish me luck...and in the words of Ozzy Osbourne,

"mama, I'm comin' home..."

I will write a more upbeat happy post tomorrow once I get to my first of many destinations!!!

And I am still laughing my way through this journey...cannot WAIT to see you all.

LOVE

No comments:

Post a Comment